1 round steak of beef 1/2 inch thick pounded out to be 1/4 inch thick.
1/2 pound ground veal
1/4 cup ground prosciutto (fat & lean)
1/4 cup ground hard salami
1/2 cup Parmesam
2 tbsp butter softened
1 cup fresh bread crumbs, crust removed soaked in milk and squeezed until almost dry
The chopped mixture
1/4 pound fresh ham fat (pork fat)
1 small onion
3 springs parsley (stems and all)
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
1 whole clove
1/2 cup white wine
2 TBSP flour
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
1. Pound beff between 2 pieces of plastic wrap to an 1/4 inch or thinner being careful not to put holes in it season with salt & pepper.
2. Mix the ground meats stuffing mix and seasoned with salt & pepper
3. Spread stuffing over beef leaving an 1/2 inch space around edge
4. Roll up tightly and either tie with twine or use toothpick to secure it closed
5. Put the chopped vegetable mix in a heavy sauce pot and sweat (cook lightly).
6 Add beef roll and brown on all sides, add flour, cook for 1 minute add white wine, tomatoes, bay leaf and whole clove.
7. Simmer, (low heat) covered, turning occasionally for 2 hours or more, until tender.
8. When done remove to platter and keep warm. While doing that put sauce component through a sieve/ food mil and return to heat and reduce until you reach you desired thickness, stir often!
9. Slice and pour sauce over meat.
I like to serve it with a mushroom risotto, or soft polenta, and vegetable of your choice, broccoli rabi is nice